Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu family,
I am happy to announce the grand re-opening of Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu on Monday 18 May 2020! Due to the Covid-19 Pandemic we have been closed since 17 March 2020 and we now have the government's permission to re-open with a few safety guidelines. We will temporarily have different class times and schedules until government regulations/requirements are further relaxed.
1. Adult classes will be held Monday through Friday at 11:30 am, 12:30 pm, 7 pm and 8 pm and Saturday at 11:30 am and 12:30 pm. Children's classes will be held Monday through Thursday at 10 am, 4:30 pm and 5:30 pm.
2. Class size will be held to a maximum of 14 students and you can sign up on a first come basis on our private school Facebook group or by calling the school (210)993-2021. Only one class allowed per day, per student due to our limited class sizes.
3. Each class will be for 30 minutes and will entail stretching, BJJ techniques and drilling with only one partner. Each student has the choice of drilling with a family member or partner of their choice. We also have a limited amount of stuffed dummies available if you prefer to do the drills on a dummy. A six foot distance will be maintained between each pair of drilling partners.
4. The mats will be mopped and sanitized between every class.
5. All classes will be in gi only.
6. Parents/Guests will need to wait outside or in their cars during class. No spectators will be allowed in the school during class.
7. Students are permitted to wear a mask and gloves if they so choose.
8. Everyone will have their temperature taken before entering the gym and if the students temperature is above the normal 98.5 they will not be able to participate.
Now for the proverbial "elephant in the room!" Are you at risk to catch Covid-19 by returning to Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and the answer is absolutely and unequivocally "YES." Anytime someone from your household comes into contact with a person outside your household whether you are at work, school, grocery store, barber/hair salon, dentist's office, gym, pharmacy, shopping center, church etc.... then you are increasing your risk of catching Covid-19.
Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu will do our best to minimize the risk by frequent cleaning and limiting class size, but there is no guarantee. One of the big problems with Covid-19 is that a person could have the virus and be contagious without showing any symptoms of the disease.
With all that said here is the bottom line: Each adult member of the Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu family needs to make a personal risk decision as to whether returning to training is an acceptable risk for you or your child. As you know we do not do contracts at Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu and all students pay month to month. We have declined to take student monthly tuition during this pandemic while the school has been closed, even though many students insisted on paying to help the school. We did not accept any money and will not accept money for training that you are not receiving.
If you want to return to training this Monday 18 May 2020 we would love to see you. If you would rather wait a few more weeks or months before you return to training, then we absolutely respect your decision and look forward to seeing you when you feel more comfortable.
Welcome to Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu the friendly San Antonio neighborhood Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) school. Whether you are a beginner or a seasoned BJJ practitioner, our helpful instructors are trained to assist you in effectively reaching your fitness and self-defense goals. We are a traditional martial arts school, but more then a martial art, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a lifestyle.
Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu seeks much more than winning competition medals. Our goal is to promote health, well-being, self-confidence, and mental toughness in a safe, encouraging, and inspirational environment to properly prepare our students for all of the challenges of life. Our motto "Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Saving Lives" is a fundamental belief that through Brazilian Jiu Jitsu our students can attain better physical fitness, healthier lifestyle, personal self defense and "Bully prevention" for children and we believe these benefits can literally save lives.
Our class structure condenses an immense diversity of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu into our core fundamental moves combined intelligently and safely to optimize your learning. We are here to help you reach all your fitness goals. Our team will listen to your needs and develop a customized workout for you to achieve your goals. We look forward to showing the people of San Antonio how BJJ can help you!
“What the Samurai did with their swords, we do with our hands!”
The "Karate Kid" in my humble opinion is not only one of the greatest martial arts movies of all times, but one of the best movies of all time period. Watching this movie in 1984 inspired me to pursue a life as a martial artist. I have spent years studying and training in Boxing, Hapkido and Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.
I love to teach martial arts and think every martial arts teacher has to make a choice as to who they are going to be as a teacher and more importantly as a person. From the movie "Karate Kid" we should strive to be the teacher Mr. Miyagi was to Daniel Larusso rather than the teacher John Kreese was to Johnny Lawrence and the rest of the Cobra Kai Dojo. If you do not remember the story and the names of the characters, then I encourage you to watch this movie again or watch it for the first time.
I don't train daily in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, because I want to fight in the UFC or win some World Championship. I am 51 years old and realize those are young men's endeavors; although I still enjoy stepping onto the mats and competing in tournaments from time to time. I train Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, because it is good for my mind, body and soul. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu may or may not add years to my life, but it definitely adds life to my years. My life and the life of my family is so much richer, because of our jiu jitsu journey together.
Semper Fortis Jiu Jitsu is very honored to be an official training center for the "We Defy Foundation."If you would like to help improve the lives of mentally and physically disabled veterans please look into the We Defy Foundation. www.wedefyfoundation.org